The Dental Technology program provides a comprehensive foundation in the principles and practices of dental prosthetics and restoration. Students will gain a solid understanding of dental anatomy, materials science, and digital technologies used in modern dental practices. The curriculum covers a wide range of topics including dental impressions, model making, waxing techniques, and CAD/CAM systems. Students will develop hands-on skills in crafting dental appliances such as dentures, crowns, bridges, and orthodontic devices. The program also emphasizes quality assurance, patient communication, and ethical considerations in dental technology. Graduates will be well-prepared to contribute to the field of dentistry by providing essential support in fabricating dental restorations that enhance oral health and aesthetics.
Our Dental Technology qualifications have been designed in collaboration with colleges, higher education institutions, and sector skills councils. They offer a pathway for individuals to progress to university degrees and cover Diploma Level- 3 to 7.
These qualifications provide the flexibility for learners to choose from a variety of optional units at each level. This allows them to specialize in specific areas while also gaining the essential core knowledge necessary for all managers.
- Develop a strong foundation in the fundamental theories, principles, and essential concepts of Dental Technology.
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of practices in the dental technology field, including dental prosthetics, restorations, materials science, and digital advancements.
- Acquire expertise in applying strategic analysis and innovative approaches to address challenges in dental technology, devising effective solutions.
- Gain practical experience in hands-on tasks and projects related to dental technology through practical assignments and collaborative initiatives.
- Understand the dynamics of dental appliance fabrication, utilization of advanced technologies, and quality assurance within the dental technology context.
- Cultivate proficiency in crafting dental appliances, adhering to ethical considerations, and promoting patient satisfaction in the dental technology field.
- Explore the areas of dental materials and techniques, utilize modern tools and methods, and advocate for precision and excellence in dental technology practice.
- Foster analytical thinking, adept problem-solving and sharp technical skills to effectively tackle complex challenges and drive success in the field.
- Enhance collaborative abilities, communication skills, and efficient project management by participating in group projects and addressing real-world scenarios in dental technology.
- Develop research capabilities and the ability to apply knowledge in conducting independent research in specialized areas of Dental Technology Management.
After successfully completing the Dental Technology program, individuals will have a wide array of career prospects within the field of dental technology. Potential professional pathways include dental technologist, dental prosthetics specialist, restorative dentistry technician, digital dental technician, dental materials expert, dental laboratory manager, orthodontic appliance designer, dental CAD/CAM specialist, and advocate for dental health technology.
Graduates will have opportunities to explore various sectors, including dental laboratories, dental clinics, dental prosthetics companies, dental equipment manufacturers, dental research institutions, and the option to further their education through advanced studies in dental technology.
The Level 7- Post Graduate Diploma in Dental technology involves dental professionals creating tools to enhance a patient’s look, speech, or chewing abilities. A key component of the dental team is the dental technician. They replicate people’s teeth using their knowledge of dental material science and their design and manufacture abilities. The satisfaction comes from realizing that you helped that person smile once more. Dental technicians don’t interact directly with patients; instead, they are an integral member of the dental care team at a dental laboratory. They create detachable orthodontic appliances and fake teeth. Together with dentists, technicians design and build appliances that are suited to the needs of each patient out of a variety of materials, such as gold, porcelain, and acrylic. The field of dental technology is international. There is a significant need for qualified dental technicians all around the world. New Zealand dental technicians are sought after by foreign employers due to their excellent skill level. Commercial dental laboratories hire dental technicians in New Zealand and Australia. The majority of the work is done in these laboratories for the private dentistry sector, the armed forces, hospitals, and public dental services. The employer to employee ratio is roughly 1:3, and many dental technicians end up starting their own businesses. There are no restrictions on going independent. There are many different subfields within the profession, with people specializing in various branches of dental technology.
The Level 7- Post Graduate Diploma in Dental technology equivalent to a Master’s degree program. It represents the highest level of qualification in the field of Dental technology, providing learners with an advanced and specialized understanding of the subject.
The course content of the Level 7- Post Graduate Diploma in Dental Technology typically covers a range of advanced topics. Here are the topics covered:
- Dental Technology I and II
- Introduction to Digital Dentistry and Dental Manufacturing
- Dental Materials Science
- Research Problems and Approaches
- Dental Laboratory Governance
- Research Project
- Research Methods in Clinical Dentistry
The qualification assessment criteria are based on assignments, but in order to pass, the learner must complete all of the unit’s learning requirements. At the completion of each unit, an interview will be held as proof that the work truly belongs to the learner.
The specific entry requirements for the Level 7- Post Graduate Diploma in Dental Technology include:
- A minimum age requirement (e.g., 22 years old) A complete Bachelor’s degree, UK level 6 diploma in Dental or an equivalent overseas qualification.
- Completion of a BDS degree or a related degree.
- Strong academic background in Dental Technology or a related field, with evidence of research experience and potential.
- English language proficiency, demonstrated through language tests or previous education in an English-speaking environment.
The qualification has recommended course duration of 2 years.
Note: However the course duration may be increased to meet additional learning needs if required.